6.12.2011

A not-so-surprising surprise

I was unpacking last night and then I stumbled upon these...

DSC_6246

Remember when I said on my previous post that I'm not that much of a makeup girl? Well yah! I wasn't. I'm still not. But I needed the basics. Apparently, it turned out to be too much basics. I don't know the extremes of makeup but this is somewhat an extreme on basic makeup. Let me explain to you piece by piece.

1. Blushers
DSC_6275
DSC_6278
DSC_6279
Obviously I only have four. Chanel Rose Dust blush, which I got from my mom around 2 years ago?; the recently bought MAC blusher in format; Cover Girl blush that I had for years I don't even remember how I got it; and Clinique in Bashful plum. Cover Girl blush in Natural Rose is nearing the trash can. It's just that I tried using it again and it still worked it's magic. What I'm worried about is the bacteria it most probably has on it. Wouldn't it be nice if makeups come with expiration dates on them? Anyway, Chanel in Rose Dust doesn't jibe well with my skin tone. Or.. I don't know. I don't even remember the last time I used this. I'll give it another shot soon. Whenever my girly mood strikes, I use Clinique in Bashful Plum 'cause it's almost as perfect as the MAC one. It's the pink for my skin tone. The fact that I got it for free makes it more parfait. If you could still remember the post about my Clinique stuff, I got 3 blushers from Clinique pour gratuit! The other two were both in Precious Posey. I gave it to my tita and my lola since they asked for it. That's how nice I am. Hehe. The Precious Posey's a little bit too light for me now that I'm tan. Which leads me to the MAC frost blush in format. It's heaven sent!!! I bet it was even concocted by all the Goddesses! It just makes my tan so glowing! And for the record, this is the first blush I ever purchased with my own money. MY. OWN. MONEY. Well, not from my own money really. Just from my savings which I was able to make from the allowance given to me by my parents for 10 whole months. AND IT'S WORTH EVERY PENNY!

2. Brushes


The MAC set mom gave me (129se, 266se, 224se, 242se, 190se; "SE" means it's a smaller one. Kinda like a travel size of the original brushes); free Clinique mini brush; and the smashbox kabuki brush. Of all the brushes in the MAC set, I don't really use the foundation brush the most. Truth is. I haven't used it at all. I don't use foundation and I use my fingers upon applying my tinted moisturizer. The eye brushes, which I seldom use, were pretty effective in applying makeup except that I know almost nothing about eye makeup. It means more youtube tutorial videos for me. The mini brush is cute. Main reason why I'm keeping it. But I find it hard to use. The kabuki one came with the Halo Hydrating Perfecting Powder. I know nothing about kabuki brushes and how they work but this one seems to do the job.

3. Lippies

DSC_6288
I know. I got surprised too. I don't even know how to start writing about it. I got 13 stuff for my lips?! Notwithstanding the spearmint Chapstick I bought earlier. Anyway, these are what I have: (L-R) Clinique Lipstick in super-kaduper red (I don't know the name of the hue but it's really red!), Smashbox lip paint, Bobbi Brown lip pencil in honeysuckle, Bath and Body Works berry lip tint, BBW Mentha lip tint, another Mentha lip tint but in a darker color, Chapstick, Nivea lip balm, blistex tinted lip balm, Victoria's Secret Pout lip gloss, Sally Hansen Diamond... something lip gloss, Clinique lipgloss with SPF and a cute mini Givenchy lip gloss. I have no idea that I have all these. Probably because I most often only bring my darker Mentha tint and my Nivea lip balm. When I bought the Bobbi Brown lip pencil, I got three lippies in my bag wherever I go. Or whenever I get confused, I bring as well the Smashbox lip paint. Only to find myself even more confused. Anyway, here's the interesting part. I only purchased 2 of them. Specifically the Bobbi Brown and the Nivea. My Clinique lipstick and gloss with SPF is just 2 of the free stuff I got upon purchasing 4 items from them; my Smashbox lip paint is a gift from my tita; I got my Bath and Body Works ones when I nagged my mom to buy me since its a buy-two-get-one-free purchase; my Chapstick is originally my sister's; Blistex is originally mom's; my Pout and Sally Hansen ones were gifts from two different people; and the cute Givenchy gloss was given by, again, my mom. I don't like glosses that much because it's sticky and it feels super heavy. It just so happened that some gave me and it'd be rude to give a gift away. I use it sometimes when I feel like being a masochist.

4. Powders, Sunscreens and Moisturizers

DSC_6299
Smashbox Halo Hydrating Perfecting Powder in deep/medium, which I am BEYOND HAPPY to have, and which I am beyond exhausted to read, type and even say the name out loud; Clinique key chain City Block sunscreen; and Bobbi Brown tinted moisturizer in medium to dark. I am beyond happy to have the Smashbox ......... powder because my tita gave it to me. So it means got it for free... which also means I got to save US$59!! At first I was worried because it's in deep/medium, it probably would look like a fake tan on my face. But then again, I forgot that I'm fair-skinned no more! It's perfect!!! I finally found my everyday makeup! I could use this alone or over my tinted moisturizer, topped with my MAC frost blush. It's just... amazing!!! The Clinique sunscreen smells bad and it's one hell of an oily sunscreen so I dare not use it. It just haven't crossed my mind to throw it yet. Too bad for it's cuteness and portability. Nevertheless, I just got it for free, again. The Bobbi Brown tinted moisturizer seems to do a better job when topped with the Smashbox powder. If it's not, well, I don't know how to judge a tinted moisturizer. Not yet for I have not a break-out caused by it. I've been breaking out for the past 2 days but it's only because I'm jet-lagged. It's so sad that I have to go on my first day of school with a huge fimfol on my forehead. But if I ever did breakout because of this, I'd blame it's not-oil-free-ness. If that's even a word. But yup, it's not oil free. Tell me how ironic it is that right after I bought it, I just found out that there's an oil-free tinted moisturizer of the same brand about to come in stores. *sigh

DSC_6291
They just seem to have good chemistry, these two.

5. Mascaras

DSC_6312
Clinique high impact mascara, Lancome Courbe Virtuose, and MAC fibre rich lash. Clinique's for my everyday makeup. It's light and yet it gives me the kind of volume and black that I want. It's soooo so light and it doesn't clump! Probably the best mascara I've ever had. The Lancome's almost dried up and I'm so close to throwing it but I just don't have the time to throw it yet... (?) Anyway, I remember the Lancome didn't work well on me. Because it clumps and I found it hard to use. Its brush is sort of designed to fit you lashes. It's curved unlike the MAC and the Clinique one, but it just didn't fit mine. Like, I have to use the other side of the "curve" (the hump side). The MAC one, I seldom use during normal days because it's so thick and a little bit heavy. I use it when I attend parties, etc.

Summing it all up, most of my makeups are either gifts or stuff that didn't pass my mom's standards. Actually, she's getting kinda crazy with all this recent makeup rave of mine. She sermons me of how she learned about make up at the age of 25, how young I am to even know about makeup, how boys like girls without makeup, and how I'm wasting my money on makeup. Well, momma, you introduced them to me. ;) And don't worry, I'd make sure to keep it light so I wont look like the girls in black dresses we see in the mall (Arab women). I don't even have an eyeliner or a lash curler for Pete's sake.