6.23.2011

It's not so bad...


I remember dad asked me about what's making me think twice on migrating to Dubai regardless of the people I'm going to miss. I only answered food. Stuff that I got used to eat here, which I can't find there. Just that. Well, I just realized that it's the rain I'm going to miss the most, next to the people (by people I mean them who're close to me. Not the kind of people in general there are in PH. You wouldn't like the latter.) It rarely rains in Dubai. Very rarely that I barely see any sewers (or maybe I just didn't pay attention) and that when it rains even just for a bit, it floods. (The difference is, we have sewers in all the sidewalks but we still get damn flooded every time it pours.) And imagining that I would be deprived of naturally cold days, yes then, I'm going to miss it.

Rain... it's not so bad as many of you might think. If you're not having a bad day, like, specifically not having yourself looking like you just went out of the shower in your uniform; not having your feet drenched in flood; not having to walk on wet shoes, at the same time, not getting the grossest feeling of water squishing out with every step; and not getting stuck for the whole day in traffic; then you'd get why I love rainy days.

That's one thing you should really know about me. It's my ideal "destressant" at this time of the year. It's perfect when you're at home, safe and tucked under a thick, warm blanket, soaking in the darkness, having all the time in the world to watch a good movie, indulge in some Grey's Anatomy, read, listen to some "rain music", or just simply breathe in the sweet, earthy smell of rain and eventually fall asleep to the sound of it. It's when I'd be beyond glad and ecstatic to wholly forget everything related to school. In fact, when I was a kid, I used to pray so hard asking the Lord to make his angels cry, so that there'd be rain. And also so that classes would be suspended. There's just something about the rain that makes me very very relaxed. Except when I'm travelling to school, of course. I always find myself angry, tensed and killing somebody (PAGASA, for cancelling classes on all levels except college) in my head whenever I'm all wet and cold inside the bus, stuck in traffic and late for class during a storm.



P.S.
That one by Dido is my favorite "rain song" ever. Actually, whenever it rains, I automatically time travel to 90s music where Spice Girls, Christina, Dido, Alanis and The Corrs rule my world.