Some radio personality predicted that the Rapture would happen last Saturday, May 21, 2011. In case some of you doesn't know what the Rapture is, it's simply the end of the world. The coming of Christ and all that insanity which touts fear to many of us. Honestly speaking, I wasn't even aware of that May 21 prediction. With a little bit of research, I found out that the one who tried predicting the end of the world, that's supposed to happen last Saturday, also predicted that the world would be in pieces in September 1994. But, what happened? I'm still alive and 17 years old. Notwithstanding the Dec 21, 2012 Mayan-prediction, I think nobody could ever foresee the future. These lunatic computations and predictions couldn't even prove that there really is an all-powerful, omniscient, and eternal God. That there really is someone who would go down and serve judgment to all. I don't mean to antagonize or persuade anybody's beliefs in any way here. Just trying to speak my thoughts.
Don't get me wrong. I was raised as a Catholic. I was enrolled in a Catholic school since kindergarten; I have highly religious relatives, and I know a lot about Catholicism and God. But see, that's what's whispered in my ears. I can't make my own decisions back then. To think about it now, nobody could ever prove that there's God, as well as the end of the world. I think He is just an idea of something to balance mankind. He is an idea of something to be feared so our lives would make sense. If you have no one to fear then there's no reason for you to do good things, to keep your life into perspective. Another thing is, we believe in him because we were told that if we do, there would be gratitude and eternal life waiting for us. In contrary, what's so confusing is the fact that there are punishments waiting for us if we don't worship him, if we don't abide by his commandments, and yet he says he loves us. Which leaves many of us no choice but to believe in him. Whatever happened to unconditional love. I also think the idea of God was created so He could be the counter-attack to something that science couldn't explain. Like, where did it all start. "He" is the answer to every question that's unanswerable even by the most intellectual person in the world. A tout prendre, I'm in a state of confusion.
Right now, the only thing that I believe in is the concept of Carpe Diem. Whatever happens, whether the end of the world is near or distant, whether God is existent or not, making the most of my time would be my number one priority. When it comes to man's life span itself, we have not the slightest idea. We only live once. Actually, it's we're only young for a short period of time... I'm not saying that we do everything all in one day for the sake of experience and paranoia. Of course it's always the best to plan ahead. What I mean is, do everything ethically acceptable (in your own terms) that you can. Actually, scratch the "ethically acceptable" part. Just do whatever you want. But of course, apply the philosophical aphorism to "do everything you want but do it in moderation". Carpe diem is not about not giving a damn about everything and thinking that you're eventually going to die, why not throw your life away. No. It's about being happy and living in the moment with no fears of the future and regrets from the past.
