11.06.2012

Skin Care (UTD) : New Anti-blemish Routine


It's been a while since I did a post regarding my skin care, probably because I didn't really have a "skin care" before. Right after I finished two sets of Clinique's anti-blemish solutions last year, which took me about 5 months to consume, I never really had a constant routine. Until I found this Aztec Secret mask in Healthy Options. It is a staple to my skin care ever since! It works wonders and I'm not even exaggerating!!! Like I said in this blog post, Aztec Secret comes in powder form so you'd have to concoct the mask yourself. The best thing about it is you can mix it with stuff that would have plus effects on your skin. Like, you have the power to customize your mask.

Since I'm acne prone, I mix these three:


1. Tea Tree Water toner from Lush


This is important! Aside from its heavenly scent, tea tree is known as one of the blemish fighters. I don't use this as a toner for it practically just feels like scented water. It's too mild because it's alcohol free. I just use this in doing the mask. I use Tea Tree water instead of just water or apple cider vinegar because: 1) it smells really good 2) vinegar would be too harsh, not to mention it smells awful 3) tea tree water is better than... just water. This "popular toner" could also be of help during a hot day. When I feel like I want to refresh my face, I spritz this on. I'm actually planning to buy those mini spray containers at Muji or at Beabi so I could bring some with me anywhere I go.

2. Aztec Secret Indian Healing Clay


I haven't tried all the masks in the world but I'm betting my life on this one! This truly works wonders. FYI, I'm not getting paid by saying this.Though I think they should pay me! This has appeared too many times on my blog already. Anyway, I don't know what Calcuim Bentonite really is but this mask is magical. No pun intended. It does heal and dry my zits in no time. I researched about Indian Healing clay and found out that this was used by Cleopatra as one of her beauty rituals. (Like there's any proof that she did use this) But, regardless of the exaggerated words outside its jar, this mask really is very effective. I truly recommend this.

3. Honey calamansi (calamansi concentrate)


This is one of the fun things that came with the idea of concocting your own mask. Let me break it to you one by one. I chose to mix some Calamansi concentrate for Calamansi is a citrus fruit. And citrus fruits are known to have citric acid (duh!). And citric acid is good in drying up zits because it is an astringent. Plus it's packed with vitamin C. I also love that this is Calamansi concentrate mixed with honey. Honey is good with bacteria and it is known to be "superb" in healing burns and small cuts. Therefore, this bottle of Citrus Farms Calamansi Concentrate is like hitting two birds with one stone! Another reason why I love this is that citric acid could be a little harsh on the skin but when it's mixed with honey, it could actually dampen/moisturize your skin. And look at all the benefits! Worst case scenario would be if you're allergic to citrus and honey. If you are, then you could simply make lemonade for your peepz--end of story.




PROCEDURE:

Since I only do it for my self, half a tablespoon of the calcium bentonite clay will do. This is also one of the good things about the Aztec mask. I bought it over a year ago and I still have half a jar (more than .5 lbs) of it. After putting it in a bowl, I spray an ample amount of the tea tree water on the powder, then pour around half a tablespoon of honey calamansi. I mix it with a spoon and if it needs more water or clay, I just add little amounts until the mixture is perfect and smooth. It shouldn't be too watery nor too dry.

HALF A TABLESPOON OF BENTONITE CLAY
HALF A TABLESPOON OF HONEY CALAMANSI
PERFECT TEXTURE

Next, I apply it using my fingers. I know that I used a foundation brush the last time I posted about this. Well, I thought it would be better if I get to massage my face while applying it. So, yes, I lightly scrub it to my skin while applying. Just avoid the eye area because the mask gets really tight on your face and it would be really un-comfy for the skin around your eyes to be stretched along with the rest of your face. They weren't kidding when they said that this mask is "THE  WORLD'S MOST POWERFUL FACIAL"

I CAN'T SMILE WITH THE MASK ON



AFTER 20 MINUTES: 

Don't be scared if you'd look like a decaying corpse after 20 minutes. It's normal. It simply means it's time for rinsing. It would feel a little grainy so do not hesitate to scrub it and exfoliate your face as you rinse it off. After rinsing, I air dry my face and then tone with Celeteque's Acne Solutions toner. Acne solutions... I don't know if this is, in any way, the same with Clinique's Acne Solutions line but I've been using this toner for a month now and it works! Excpect your face to be a little reddish but it should be gone and back to normal after 30 minutes.


I let the toner sit for a while and then I moisturize my face with Clinique's dramatically different moisturizer.

That's pretty much it! I do this routine (mask-tone-moisturize) at least once a week. Especially when I do thesis field work. That's the time when every pore in my face is clogged with dirt! But no, actually, I do this whenever I feel like it. But not everyday. I try to avoid having my skin so used to this. The only con of this routine is that it's very time consuming. Doing the mask and applying it, it took me about 10-15 minutes. Though I really enjoy mixing the mask and putting in whatever I can find in the kitchen, and researching about what I did as I let it dry on my face. The effect of this, you ask? Well I haven't had any zit for quite a while now! Though it's inevitable to get one tiny zit during the 'time of the month' where my hormones are hyping up! One to zero zits!

Anyway, on normal days when I don't put this mask on, I just wash my face with Aesthetic Science's Kojic Acid soap. I use it twice a day, in the morning and before hitting the sack. And then I follow it up with toner and moisturizer. That Kojic Acid soap is also a life saver! It's a bit strong but it dried up all my zits overnight! I don't really trust those Kojic soaps we find in supermarkets so I get mine at Aesthetic Science in Muntinlupa (Madrigal Business Park). I would have to update you on that in the future.

I hope this post helped! Feel free to share your thoughts!



x