4.13.2012

STRESS BUSTER: Camarines Nor & Sur

DAY 1

Who knew that the literally long and winding, not to mention really exhausting, 10-hour drive to Camarines will all be worth it in the end. I hate long and lazy drives. I always end up having to grit my teeth while holding a plastic bag half-full of my own vomit. Well, I did. Twice. And while I was doing so, I bemoaned the bad luck I allowed my self to experience. But as the road signs say that we're already in Camarines Norte, I started to think we're getting nearer and swallowed back the bile rising in my throat- prompting another disgorge session. 

I kept myself awake until we reached the place. Gasping would be an understatement to our (mine and my sister's) initial reactions when we saw the view. As if it's our first time to be in the outskirts. We immediately went down, I with shaky knees, to fix our stuff. My sister, being the sea creature that she is, changed into her newly bought bikinis and ran to the beach. I, on the other hand, dropped my backpack and passed out on the bed as soon as I saw that it's empty. 

Woke up just in time for the sunset.


As there was no wi-fi and network services started to shrink to 0 bar, Emily Giffin tried to make up for my appalling boredom.
As per usual, you are my subject once again.

DAY 2

It was Friday of the holy week but the traffic brought about by processions and parades of men trying to do the "traditional penance" by self injury did not prevent us from succumbing to our desires to go wakeboarding. Off to Cam Sur, we went. After about, 2 hours of road trip, Camarines Watersports Complex's villas and ramps started to appear.


Sin


Wakeboarding looked really easy. I thought, "Sus! I can do that. With no sweat". I, actually, did wake board without sweat, but that's because I'm already making huge splashes in the lake 3 seconds after getting pulled. Mind you, I even wanted to jump on the experts' wakeboarding area (bigger one with faster/stronger pulls). That would be a whoooole lot more humiliating.....



As we were lining up for the second pull, I saw this familiar face behind us. I was hesitant at first but voila! It's Samir Gogna aka Sam YG/Shivaker of the Boys Night Out, Magic 89.9. His voice, and accent, sounded the same as it was on radio--NOT AS SHIVAKER HA! But as his usual self.

And yes, if you're wondering, I humiliated myself again, as I took my turn. And this time, Sam was one of the witnesses. Not that he cares or anything... He just asked me in between laughs, "What happened, Bea?" And I couldn't think of a more convincing excuse but "My feet slipped".



On the other hand, my sister nailed her first ride. And so did she nail her second. She even made it across the lake AND BACK. It's as if.... she was born to wakeboard. I can't help but wonder how she did it!

"MY TURN!"


Not very far from where I started...... Here's what happened....
But I still kept it cool and raised two peace signs for the camera. Look how the helmet emphasized my fatness.

The radio DJ didn't make it to the other end as well but he sure did go farther than my "crashing spot".
Penafrancia


 DAY 3

Woke up to the cry of the 2-year-old boy in the other bed. What an awful alarm that was. Anyway, my father rushed in to announce that "we're going Island hopping!" I got our stuff ready, and immediately changed from my slumber attire. We rode a small boat, so small that my legs barely fit, so I decided to sit with my feet plunged in the ocean.

The sun was blazing strongly when we started our journey. I thought it would be perfect for my hopes of having a crisp, golden tan. Imaginary wink for my self 'cause I brought my "batik malong" with me. When we reached, we all got excited with the beauty of the island and jumped in the clear blue waters as soon as the boat went to a halt. A few hours later, it was low tide so we all went up to the hut to have lunch. And damn was it the best, not to mention the freshest, lunch ever! Fresh fish, grilled and tossed into our shared, unusual plate- banana leaf. 

I tried to get some Zs after but the scorching temperature won't let me! Then I realized it's time to spread my malong in the sand and lie down like nobody's watching me. I slathered sunscreen on every exposed area of my skin, pushed the sand upward a bit (for my head) and with squinting eyes, I laid on my DIY tanning bed. About, 10 minutes later, I stood up with a pounding headache. THE HEAT WAS INTOLERABLE! Therefore, no tan for me that day.

I didn't immediately go back to the hut. I thought, wait a minute, why don't I bury this kid in front of me.



This kid is my father's goddaughter. She immediately became my cam's subject during my "tanning attempts"...

And the victim of my boredom

DAY 4

Just as... plain and vanilla as the 1st day. We're en route back to Manila that day and truth is... I didn't want to leave. Not because that's how much I love the place but because I'M NOT PREPARED FOR THE 10-HOUR DRIVE AGAIN!!! Of course I threw up. And when we got home, I fell sick with colds and cough. But all in all, it was a really good break! I plan to go back to Cam Sur to master my wakeboarding skills. Or to continue my search if I do have wakeboarding skills, rather...